Old 16-05-2006, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Garden Gnome

Default Best vegetable for a beginner to grow?

tenplay wrote:

I've never had a vegetable garden before. Having an area in the yard
that is only growing weeds, I am interested in trying out a vegetable
garden. I'm not a green thumb and so need plants that are pretty much
fool-proof. The area gets a lot of sun for the NW (Washington). Also
we have a lot of deer, rabbits, raccoons, squirrels and birds around.
What are some good choices especially for the summer? Do the seeds you
buy at the local supermarket grow well or should I start with nursery
starts? Thanks for any advice.

If you have a lot of the animals mentioned you are going to have a
problem. I would recommend a motion activated sprayer or some type of
fencing for the garden area. Otherwise between the deer and rabits you
will have nothing. Radishes and lettuce grow well from seed. Chives
are almost fool proof If you want to grow something like cucumbers or
tomatoes, I would suggest nursery starts simply because that will give
you a guide to compare to the next year. Each plant comes with its own
set of problems. My rule of thumb is to grow what I can't buy in the
stores then do extensive research before planting. I keep a garden
journal to help troubleshoot not only for the current year but for
future years. HTH

--

Garden Gnome
http://ca.360.yahoo.com/sfg.oamc