Old 16-05-2006, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
tenplay

Default Best vegetable for a beginner to grow?

I've never had a vegetable garden before. Having an area in the yard
that is only growing weeds, I am interested in trying out a vegetable
garden. I'm not a green thumb and so need plants that are pretty much
fool-proof. The area gets a lot of sun for the NW (Washington). Also
we have a lot of deer, rabbits, raccoons, squirrels and birds around.
What are some good choices especially for the summer? Do the seeds you
buy at the local supermarket grow well or should I start with nursery
starts? Thanks for any advice.
Old 16-05-2006, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Garden Gnome

tenplay wrote:

I've never had a vegetable garden before. Having an area in the yard
that is only growing weeds, I am interested in trying out a vegetable
garden. I'm not a green thumb and so need plants that are pretty much
fool-proof. The area gets a lot of sun for the NW (Washington). Also
we have a lot of deer, rabbits, raccoons, squirrels and birds around.
What are some good choices especially for the summer? Do the seeds you
buy at the local supermarket grow well or should I start with nursery
starts? Thanks for any advice.

If you have a lot of the animals mentioned you are going to have a
problem. I would recommend a motion activated sprayer or some type of
fencing for the garden area. Otherwise between the deer and rabits you
will have nothing. Radishes and lettuce grow well from seed. Chives
are almost fool proof If you want to grow something like cucumbers or
tomatoes, I would suggest nursery starts simply because that will give
you a guide to compare to the next year. Each plant comes with its own
set of problems. My rule of thumb is to grow what I can't buy in the
stores then do extensive research before planting. I keep a garden
journal to help troubleshoot not only for the current year but for
future years. HTH

--

Garden Gnome
http://ca.360.yahoo.com/sfg.oamc
Old 17-05-2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
tenplay

frdmsbst KY wrote:
You might want to consider asparagus. You have to follow the planting
instructions carefully. But once you do, there is little maintainence
beyond trying to keep the weeds out and fertilizing a couple of times a
year. It is great because it keeps coming year after year, is easy to
harvest, tastes great and is expensive to buy at the store (so you
actually save money).

We love asparagus! Do I have to take any precautions against animals?
When is the best time to plant them? Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 17-05-2006, 02:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
simy1

the problem with asparagus is that it takes two or three years to
harvest the first miserable spear. We know the zone, now tell us about
soil, pH, and the type of weeds that grow in the spot. Then one can
give a more informed advice. But the first thing to grow there is a
fence topped by an electric wire. I only grow potatoes outside my fence.

Old 17-05-2006, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
frdmsbst KY

I don't know about animals.

Normally, I believe asparagus is planted in March - that's when I
planted it. And the latest advice on harvesting says that you can do a
light - i.e. 2-3 weeks worth - harvesting the very next spring. I did
that, and it was fine. The following year, you can do a complete
harvest of 8 weeks. I think it is well worth the wait.

The best source of any kind of information about what to plant in your
area, when, animals, etc. would be your USDA County Extension agent.
They should be in the phone book. If not, they are usually connected
with your major state university. I would recommend giving them a
call. They have been very helpful to me.

Good luck!

Old 17-05-2006, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
simy1

I will still vote for potatoes. My deer don't eat them, they adapt to
all soil types, they like it acid, moist and cool, as it probably is in
Seattle, and they are prolific. I buy the smallest potatoes from the
organic food bin, and plant them whole under wood chips or under "bed
trash", the mulch from last year that did not decompose, raked into a
pile.

Old 18-05-2006, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
frdmsbst KY

That sounds good. I may have to try that. Sounds easy!

Old 18-05-2006, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

Well, you could always plant what the deer and rabbits like, and then
"poach" the deer and rabbits;-). . .I hope you know I'm kidding!

Seriously though, I have a nephew who lives in the foothills of
California. Deer, Rabbits, and other critters are a MAJOR issue in his
trying to grow vegetables, or most any plant life.

He did manage to buy cyclone fencing to corral off a plot about the
square footage of a good sized kennel.

That solution is pricey, and would buy a whole lot of Safeway
produce;-)

Good luck!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 18-05-2006, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
tenacity

I would say tomatoes - but since you've got critters, obviously you'll
have to learn how to built a great fence.

Old 18-05-2006, 08:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott

"frdmsbst KY" wrote in message
ups.com...
You might want to consider asparagus.

I would think something with a quicker result might be better for the first
time.

David