Old 16-05-2006, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default bush honeysuckle

greengrass writes

K Wrote:

Not sure what you mean by a 'bush honeysuckle' - our native is a
climbing plant, although there are many species of honeysuckles which
are in a bush form. Our honeysuckle is a welcome sight in woodlands
and

hedges in the early summer.

the sienctific name is lonicera x .spp originally from europe eastern
asia and japan which one first? I kind of like it. just wanna know if
any you guys grow it,

All honeysuckles are in the genus Lonicera, so that doesn't narrow
things down very much!

The common UK native is Lonicera periclymenum, which is a climber with
large fragrant flowers which are creamy yellow with red tips.

But in gardens we grow many different species of Lonicera - for example,
I have Lonicera henryi, which is an evergreen climber with pink flowers;
another evergreen climbing one; L brownii, another deciduous climber
whose flowers are not so fragrant; a shrubby one which flowers in
midwinter; 'fly honeysuckle' which is in flower now; L tartarica 'Hack's
Red' with red flowers; a small leaved one with tiny flowers; and a
couple more later flowering fragrant climbers.

There's another shrubby small flowered species which at one time was
widely used for hedging, though it seems to have fallen out of fashion
somewhat.

--
Kay