Old 16-05-2006, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space

Default Magnolia (Susan)

"Sacha" wrote in message I think it's
probably been loved - not quite to death. I hope. Leave
it alone for now. Water it only in a dry spell. Don't feed it until
next year. A containerised plant can, theoretically, be planted at any
time of year so I really don't think that's your problem at all.. But
good grief, you have given this one overload! Watering constantly,
feeding with miracle grow, adding manure - the poor thing must think
it's on steroids! Keep it watered only in dry weather, don't feed it
any further and wait and see what happens next year. And do bear in
mind that people with absolutely huge acres of garden, planted with
dozens of magnolias don't and can't go round feeding each one two or
three times. For most plants, healthy neglect is a better option than
the regime you describe. Chuck a bucket of water over it from time to
time and leave it alone.

thanks - I thought I was doing things right. miracle grow applied in week
two. organic material. advice seen said water well even if rain
forecasted.