Old 16-05-2006, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space

Default Magnolia (Susan)

Hi
I recently planted a magnolia (first week in May). I know this is a little
later than it should have been planted. the weekend it was planted was cool
and wet so hopefully the timing didn't affect the planting. after planting
I made sure all the plants were well watered and fed with miracle grow.
I've since discovered that magnolias should be fed with a potash feed
annually.

I bought the shrub in April and left it in the pot, watering it often. it
was doing quite well for a young plant and it was even starting to flower.

since planting, the shrub has lost its few leaves and also the partially
opened flowers (only two were on the plant). I now only have a few bare
branches. it is a young plant.

have I killed it (!) by feeding it with miracle grow or is it possible it
has just gone into slight shock by being planted a bit late?? farmyard
manure was added to the soil and was only placed on top of the soil after
planting. what should I do? or is the general consensus that it will
recover in the new few months and therefore will be ok next spring??

Sue (hence the plant)

Liverpool
soil conditions - not sure but can find out if it is important to the well
being of magnolias. a neighbour has magnolia in his garden which is doing
very well.

Old 16-05-2006, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Space wrote:
[...]

I think it's probably been loved - not quite to death. I hope. Leave
it alone for now. Water it only in a dry spell. Don't feed it until
next year. A containerised plant can, theoretically, be planted at any
time of year so I really don't think that's your problem at all.. But
good grief, you have given this one overload! Watering constantly,
feeding with miracle grow, adding manure - the poor thing must think
it's on steroids! Keep it watered only in dry weather, don't feed it
any further and wait and see what happens next year. And do bear in
mind that people with absolutely huge acres of garden, planted with
dozens of magnolias don't and can't go round feeding each one two or
three times. For most plants, healthy neglect is a better option than
the regime you describe. Chuck a bucket of water over it from time to
time and leave it alone.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-05-2006, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space

"Sacha" wrote in message I think it's
probably been loved - not quite to death. I hope. Leave
it alone for now. Water it only in a dry spell. Don't feed it until
next year. A containerised plant can, theoretically, be planted at any
time of year so I really don't think that's your problem at all.. But
good grief, you have given this one overload! Watering constantly,
feeding with miracle grow, adding manure - the poor thing must think
it's on steroids! Keep it watered only in dry weather, don't feed it
any further and wait and see what happens next year. And do bear in
mind that people with absolutely huge acres of garden, planted with
dozens of magnolias don't and can't go round feeding each one two or
three times. For most plants, healthy neglect is a better option than
the regime you describe. Chuck a bucket of water over it from time to
time and leave it alone.

thanks - I thought I was doing things right. miracle grow applied in week
two. organic material. advice seen said water well even if rain
forecasted.