Old 16-05-2006, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dieter Pietryka

Default Flower ID

It looks like red poppy "... papaver rhoeas

Try this link for more information
http://www.botanical.com/site/column_rita/flanders.html

Good Luck

Dieter L Pietryka
Owner/Photographer
Blitz World Enterprises

http://www.blitzworld.com/
http://www.blitzbiz123.com/

"kate" wrote in message
I started watching this plant last year when it appeared in my yard. The
basal leaves hugged the ground and I mowed around it. It never grew but it
never died, staying green this past winter. It started growing this year
and I've been watching the buds (it has several.) This morning it bloomed
and what a surprise - the petals look papery and the leaves are bristle
like. The flower looks like a tulip but the foliage doesn't look like any
tulip I've seen (or planted.)

Ideas?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22689682@N00/

Kate