Old 16-05-2006, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
kate

Default Flower ID

I started watching this plant last year when it appeared in my yard. The
basal leaves hugged the ground and I mowed around it. It never grew but
it never died, staying green this past winter. It started growing this
year and I've been watching the buds (it has several.) This morning it
bloomed and what a surprise - the petals look papery and the leaves are
bristle like. The flower looks like a tulip but the foliage doesn't look
like any tulip I've seen (or planted.)

Ideas?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22689682@N00/

Kate
Nashville TN
Old 16-05-2006, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dieter Pietryka

It looks like red poppy "... papaver rhoeas

Try this link for more information
http://www.botanical.com/site/column_rita/flanders.html

Good Luck

Dieter L Pietryka
Owner/Photographer
Blitz World Enterprises

http://www.blitzworld.com/
http://www.blitzbiz123.com/

Old 16-05-2006, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
kate

Dieter Pietryka wrote:

It looks like red poppy "... papaver rhoeas

Try this link for more information
http://www.botanical.com/site/column_rita/flanders.html

Thanks! However, it's orange and either a biennial or a perennial
although it does resemble red poppy in flower looks.

Kate

Good Luck

Dieter L Pietryka
Owner/Photographer
Blitz World Enterprises

http://www.blitzworld.com/
http://www.blitzbiz123.com/

Old 16-05-2006, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

On Tue, 16 May 2006 16:19:41 -0500
kate wrote:

Dieter Pietryka wrote:

It looks like red poppy "... papaver rhoeas

Try this link for more information
http://www.botanical.com/site/column_rita/flanders.html

Thanks! However, it's orange and either a biennial or a perennial
although it does resemble red poppy in flower looks.

[]

Looks like a poppy to me too. I've got some bright lemon yellow
growing that a friend gave me, so I know the color can vary.
Mine stay in a tight mound, either perennial or so successful
at self-seeding as to make no difference.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 17-05-2006, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
CHEX

Looks and sounds like a poppy

Old 17-05-2006, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

Kate-
The others who have responded to your plant ID question here, are
correct - It's a poppy. When I was a kid, my mother grew loads of that
type of poppies. I never knew the "official" poppy name like the other
posters gave you. They are much larger and the plants are larger, than
most poppies that we see. The blooms are usually about 4 - 5" across.

I remember not seeing any of those poppies for several decades, and
then about 3 years ago, I bought some wildflower seeds and put them out
in in a section of my yard, and one of those poppies came up. I was so
delighted to see it. I tried to successfully collect the seeds, and
replant - but I failed.

I'm glad to see the other posters post the "official" name of them. .
..Perhaps I can locate some seeds on the internet.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 17-05-2006, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
kate

Thanks everyone. Poppy it is.

Papaver orientale 'Prince of Orange'

Peace,

Kate
Old 18-05-2006, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Plant Info

Oh my, a beautiful poppy, and apparently a perennial. Hope you like where
it's planted -- they HATE being moved!
Suzy, Zone 5, Wisconsin

Old 18-05-2006, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
kate

Plant Info wrote:
Oh my, a beautiful poppy, and apparently a perennial. Hope you like where
it's planted -- they HATE being moved!
Suzy, Zone 5, Wisconsin

Yes. it's in a good spot. I'm turning the yard into paths and filling it
in with annuals (zinnia's and sunflowers to sell) and perennials
(daffodils, tulips, St johns Wort, Echinacea, Milkweed, Cinquefoil and
trees.) So it fits right in.

Kate