Old 17-05-2006, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dwayne

Default Germinating squash seeds

Temperature is a big factor. If the dirt is too cold, they wont sprout, or
will take longer to do it. Watermelons are another one that can be
aggravating. Some of them need 70 F and to be kept moist to do any good.

Dwayne

"Salmon Egg" wrote in message
Some time ago, I posted asking for advice on how to germinate squash
seeds.
I followed the suggestion of soaking the seeds in a solution of seaweed
extract and water. It has been a week, the seeds have swelled up, but no
germination yet.

I looked at a peat pot with some jiffy mix and a seed that has been
sitting
around for about month. I have neglected it of late because of the seeds'
refusal to germinate. It was almost dried up. To my surprise, it
germinated.
I transferred the pot into my hydroponic grower.

So, do I have to stress the seed with low moisture after soaking? Does the
seed have to be kept above room temperature? What is the secret? I see
squash plants for sale all the time.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush