Old 17-05-2006, 01:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dan

Default Quikrete Mix for setting fence posts???

Doug Steckel wrote:
Hello all,

I'm getting some conflicting advice on the best mix to use for
setting fence posts for a 6ft vinyl privacy fence. I've been told
that any Quikrete mix (like the #1101) will set up if poured dry.
I've also been told that the fast setting the fast setting #1004 is
far better. Someone even told me that the non-fast setting will only
have half the strength of the red bag, fast setting mix if poured
dry. I'd like to save some money if possible but don't want to
sacrifice strength over the years as this fence will catch lots of
wind over the years.

Dry pour of quickrete will be sufficient, but for heavy winds and a longer
lasting footer, (and piece of mind) I would suggest a wet pour of quickrete
12" diameter and 12-24"deep, depending on your local frost line.

Dan

Dan