Old 17-05-2006, 12:19 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.garden
Doug Steckel

Default Quikrete Mix for setting fence posts???

Hello all,

I'm getting some conflicting advice on the best mix to use for setting fence
posts for a 6ft vinyl privacy fence. I've been told that any Quikrete mix
(like the #1101) will set up if poured dry. I've also been told that the
fast setting the fast setting #1004 is far better. Someone even told me that
the non-fast setting will only have half the strength of the red bag, fast
setting mix if poured dry. I'd like to save some money if possible but don't
want to sacrifice strength over the years as this fence will catch lots of
wind over the years.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 17-05-2006, 12:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
- Tom -

"Doug Steckel" wrote in message
Hello all,

I'm getting some conflicting advice on the best mix to use for setting
fence posts for a 6ft vinyl privacy fence. I've been told that any
Quikrete mix (like the #1101) will set up if poured dry. I've also been
told that the fast setting the fast setting #1004 is far better. Someone
even told me that the non-fast setting will only have half the strength of
the red bag, fast setting mix if poured dry. I'd like to save some money
if possible but don't want to sacrifice strength over the years as this
fence will catch lots of wind over the years.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Doug

Yes, advice follows:
Buy a couple of cases of good beer or mix a few pitchers of margaritas
on the rocks, ten to fifteen pounds of beef ribs and get the grill ready to
light. Then buy a wheelbarrow and the concrete mix, drag the hose to the
worksite (the water hose, that is) and invite your office buddies out to
help you install the fence correctly. Make sure the boom box has extra
batteries, too.
You can't do a half assed job if the fence is going to catch a lot of
wind over the years. So, mix the concrete according to the directions.

Tom

Old 17-05-2006, 01:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dan

Doug Steckel wrote:
Hello all,

I'm getting some conflicting advice on the best mix to use for
setting fence posts for a 6ft vinyl privacy fence. I've been told
that any Quikrete mix (like the #1101) will set up if poured dry.
I've also been told that the fast setting the fast setting #1004 is
far better. Someone even told me that the non-fast setting will only
have half the strength of the red bag, fast setting mix if poured
dry. I'd like to save some money if possible but don't want to
sacrifice strength over the years as this fence will catch lots of
wind over the years.

Dry pour of quickrete will be sufficient, but for heavy winds and a longer
lasting footer, (and piece of mind) I would suggest a wet pour of quickrete
12" diameter and 12-24"deep, depending on your local frost line.

Dan

Dan

Old 17-05-2006, 02:20 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.garden
Dan Espen

"Doug Steckel" writes:

Hello all,

I'm getting some conflicting advice on the best mix to use for setting fence
posts for a 6ft vinyl privacy fence. I've been told that any Quikrete mix
(like the #1101) will set up if poured dry. I've also been told that the
fast setting the fast setting #1004 is far better. Someone even told me that
the non-fast setting will only have half the strength of the red bag, fast
setting mix if poured dry. I'd like to save some money if possible but don't
want to sacrifice strength over the years as this fence will catch lots of
wind over the years.

Wind?

Sorta funny.

I put in a vinyl fence. The instructions said put concrete around the
posts, put 2 pieces or rebar inside the posts, then fill the posts with
concrete. These are 4 or 5 inch square posts.

Those posts aren't going anywhere.
Old 17-05-2006, 05:49 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.garden
Rudy

#1004 is far better. Someone even told me that the non-fast setting will
only have half the strength of the red bag, fast setting mix if poured
dry. I'd like to save some money if possible but don't want to sacrifice
strength

Quickcrete (brand name) is expensive. Use the no name stuff sold by Lowes
or HD..about half the price
For fencepost "anchors" it doesnt matter..Why do you need fast setting ?
Just brace the posts and let it set overnight.

Old 17-05-2006, 06:29 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.garden
Stubby

#1004 is far better. Someone even told me that the non-fast setting will
only have half the strength of the red bag, fast setting mix if poured
dry. I'd like to save some money if possible but don't want to sacrifice
strength

Quickcrete (brand name) is expensive. Use the no name stuff sold by Lowes
or HD..about half the price
For fencepost "anchors" it doesnt matter..Why do you need fast setting ?
Just brace the posts and let it set overnight.

But you should think about providing bearing surface rather than just a
blob on the bottom of the post. Spread it out horizontally a few
inches down in the dirt. Or use long horizontal rebar to stablize it.
Old 18-05-2006, 01:53 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.garden
PipeDown

"Doug Steckel" wrote in message
Hello all,

I'm getting some conflicting advice on the best mix to use for setting
fence posts for a 6ft vinyl privacy fence. I've been told that any
Quikrete mix (like the #1101) will set up if poured dry. I've also been
told that the fast setting the fast setting #1004 is far better. Someone
even told me that the non-fast setting will only have half the strength of
the red bag, fast setting mix if poured dry. I'd like to save some money
if possible but don't want to sacrifice strength over the years as this
fence will catch lots of wind over the years.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Doug

For a fence post, the extra expense of quick setting or high strength is
unwarranted. The post hole concrete is a mix with more/bigger/random sized
aggregate in it and optimized to make it easier to absorb water from the
ground.

The whole concept of putting the mix in dry is a time saver. Not only do
you not have to premix the concrete but the dry mix holds the post steady
while the ground water permeates the mix and allows the chemical reaction to
occur. With mixed concrete you will need to brace the post in place while
it sets.

The ground does need to be moist or you can just dump water on top of the
mix in the hole. Sure it takes longer, sure it is not as hard, but you do
not need this for a post of a lightweight vinyl fence

Old 19-05-2006, 02:54 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.garden
Jonny

Doesn't make any difference regarding the concrete chosen. Cheap fence post
will die before the concrete caves in. Just pour it with your choice, dry
or wet pour. If you decide to move to something more substantial, please
post again with that information.
--
Jonny