Old 17-05-2006, 11:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz

Default Intensely fragrant shrub?

Me said:

Hi all.

I'm looking for a smallish, highly fragrant flowering shrub. I'd like a
pair of them. One will be in a semi-shaded location, one will be in
full sun.

Zone 7b / 8a (South Carolina).

While I adore them, gardenias don't like me.

Clethra alnifolia 'Hummingbird' (common name sweet pepper bush or
summersweet) is a dwarf cultivar. Very lovely scent, when in bloom.

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/CLHUP.html

My Clethra grows in a fairly shady area near a gutter downspout.

(attributed to Don Marti)