Old 17-05-2006, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Me

Default Intensely fragrant shrub?

Hi all.

I'm looking for a smallish, highly fragrant flowering shrub. I'd like a
pair of them. One will be in a semi-shaded location, one will be in
full sun.

Zone 7b / 8a (South Carolina).

While I adore them, gardenias don't like me.

Any other suggestions?

Donna
Old 17-05-2006, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pennyaline

Me wrote:
Hi all.

I'm looking for a smallish, highly fragrant flowering shrub. I'd like a
pair of them. One will be in a semi-shaded location, one will be in
full sun.

Zone 7b / 8a (South Carolina).

While I adore them, gardenias don't like me.

Any other suggestions?

What is it you mean when you say "smallish?" There are several smaller
shrub roses available with a variety of fragrances, on their own root
stock and a cinch to take care of. Consider some of those.
Old 17-05-2006, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

I have a fence on one side of my back yard, that has Star Jasmine
planted all over it. Currently, it is blooming, and it's providing a
wonderful fragrance.

You might consider that. It seems to be thriving in sun and shade. .
..It has small blossoms.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 17-05-2006, 04:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
tat2jules

How about a Daphne bush. They can be grown in pots and in the spring
the fragrance from there is out of this world. I have two by my back
door and they fill the whole house with a wonderful smell.

By the way I live in New Zealand but I'm sure they can still be got all
over the world.

Best of Luck
Jules

Old 17-05-2006, 10:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

On Wed, 17 May 2006 00:36:37 GMT
Me wrote:

Hi all.

I'm looking for a smallish, highly fragrant flowering shrub. I'd like a
pair of them. One will be in a semi-shaded location, one will be in
full sun.

Zone 7b / 8a (South Carolina).

While I adore them, gardenias don't like me.

Any other suggestions?

Donna

Donna, how about a Philadelphus? I've always found it to be one of the most
fragrant shrubs. Very easy, and there are lots of cultivars in varying sizes
and flower types.

Daphne is beautiful but can be a little tricky for dieback.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 17-05-2006, 11:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz

Me said:

Hi all.

I'm looking for a smallish, highly fragrant flowering shrub. I'd like a
pair of them. One will be in a semi-shaded location, one will be in
full sun.

Zone 7b / 8a (South Carolina).

While I adore them, gardenias don't like me.

Clethra alnifolia 'Hummingbird' (common name sweet pepper bush or
summersweet) is a dwarf cultivar. Very lovely scent, when in bloom.

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/CLHUP.html

My Clethra grows in a fairly shady area near a gutter downspout.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 17-05-2006, 12:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Me wrote:

Hi all.

I'm looking for a smallish, highly fragrant flowering shrub. I'd like a
pair of them. One will be in a semi-shaded location, one will be in
full sun.

Zone 7b / 8a (South Carolina).

While I adore them, gardenias don't like me.

Any other suggestions?

Donna

cestrum nocturnum

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 18-05-2006, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Me" wrote in message
news
Hi all.

I'm looking for a smallish, highly fragrant flowering shrub.
I'd
like a pair of them. One will be in a semi-shaded location,
one
will be in full sun.

Zone 7b / 8a (South Carolina).

While I adore them, gardenias don't like me.

Any other suggestions?

Donna

Ain't gonna work. One plant in full sun and the other in
semi-shade. Nope.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 18-05-2006, 03:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
tenacity

senns casmoidedes! (No photo, sorry - try google) They do great here in
Z10 - I don't know enough about your Zone. They are messy, but are
covered with beautifully fragrant brightyellow blossoms.Good luck!