Old 17-05-2006, 02:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Default Fescue seedheads?

wrote:
Hi

I am in Raleigh. I have fescue grass. What I am seeing is tall (6"-12")
thin stalks with seed heads on top about evenly distributed through out
the yard in between normal fescue grass. The lawn service person said
this is normal fescue seedheads that is growing rapidly due to the
inflox in temperature and that when we get to consistent 80 degree
weather, these tall fescue seedhead stalks will subside.

Am I being taken for a ride by the lawn service company? Or are they
actually telling me the facts? Is there anyway to control these taller
stalks with seed heads.

Thanks
Bob

How often is it mowed and how fast does it grow to get that high? With
stalks that high, this sounds like an undesirable weed grass, not turf
type tall fescue. What color is it? Here in NJ I have had some
patches of an undesirable thin stalked grass that sounds similar. It
becomes apparent in early spring, it's lighter in color and grows
faster than the regular grass. It disappears in summer. Mine is in
maybe ten 2 foot size spots though, not evenly distributed. I think
mine may be poa trivialis, which is bad news, as it's a rough blue
grass for which there is no selective control. I whacked my spots
with roundup and reseeded.