Old 16-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Pete The Gardener

Default Must have books in your collection ?

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:44:57 -0000, "david"
wrote:

got me looking at a few other of my gardening books,
Most interesting is
The Illustrated Dictionary of Gardening A practical and Scientific
Encyclopaedia of Horticulture
by George Nicholson
Seems to have been published in around 1888
English printing.
The only thing is I am a volume short only having 7 of the 8
every illustration seems to be an engraving.
Has made me look at it again.

I've got this in 4 volumes, published in 1888, between September and
December. Looking at the supplement it was first published in monthly
instalments from March 1884 through to October 1887. Could you have a
bound version of this? I agree, it is a lovely book. Have you come
across The Gardeners Assistant: Practical and Scientific, by Robert
Thompson, mine is a late edition revised by Thomas Moore and published
in 1878. It's got 32 colour plates in the front and loads of text
figures all the way through. I love the old gardening books, they
contain so much insight into what the job used to be like, as well as
being a very useful reference for old techniques that could otherwise
become lost.
I've just had to reorganise my books because I've aquired a new book
case so I've been looking at some of them again for the first time in
several years:-)
AS far as newish books are concerned, I've just picked up a very
interesting book called Weather in the Garden, by Jane Taylor,
published by John Murray Ltd. in 1996 ISBN 0-7195-5267-2 It covers not
only climate but the adaptations different plants make to survive in
their native homes and why some plants do better in certain gardens
than others, inspite of their home climates being moderately similar.
--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.