Old 12-03-2003, 06:45 PM
Tarzan

Default Must have books in your collection ?

re gardening books whats the favourites around here with readers?
one of my faves is Garden Flowers by Christopher LLoyd.
how would you rate the others ??

Old 12-03-2003, 09:00 PM
Natalie

"Tarzan" wrote in message
re gardening books whats the favourites around here with readers?
one of my faves is Garden Flowers by Christopher LLoyd.
how would you rate the others ??

The RHS A-Z of Plants is a great favourite of mine together with RHS
Encyclopaedia of House Plants and the new RHS Herb Encyclopedia.

Natalie

Old 12-03-2003, 11:00 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:39:08 +0000, Tarzan wrote:

re gardening books whats the favourites around here with readers?

If I had to throw away all but one of my gardening books (heaven
forbid!) the one I would keep is the original Readers' Digest
Encyclopaedia, published in the 60s I think. It may be out of date on
a few names but it is still the one I go to first!
Cheers
Pam

Bristol
Old 14-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Jane Lumley

In article , Tarzan
writes
re gardening books whats the favourites around here with readers?
one of my faves is Garden Flowers by Christopher LLoyd.
how would you rate the others ??

I like that one too, but the one I love best is Graham Stuart Thomas's
combined rose books. I also like the Peter Beales rose book, and the
Yates guide to growing roses (which is about Australia and quite
fascinating).

Otherwise for inspirational purposes I like Nori and Sandra Pope's book,
Marylyn Abbott, and for the moment I'm enjoying Jenny Joseph's book Led
By The Nose.

I don't just enjoy manuals, but also more diverse garden writing - Joan
Marble's book on her Italian garden is wonderful, for instance.
--
Jane Lumley
Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
david

My "Bible" was bought by my Mother in 1953 in a Book Sale in W.H. Smiths,
and cost the princely sum of 5 Guineas
I Have had it rebound and its 1088 pages are packed full of information that
is still relevant and a great source of reference.
The Book?
It's "The Popular Encyclopedia of Gardening"
Edited by H.H.Thomas and Gordon Forsyth (Who was then
Editor of Popular Gardening)
Published by The Waverley Book Company Ltd of London

There is no date of publishing and I would love to get a date for the book,
My feeling is that it was published before the War.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Martin Sykes

"david" wrote in message
My "Bible" was bought by my Mother in 1953 in a Book Sale in W.H. Smiths,
and cost the princely sum of 5 Guineas
I Have had it rebound and its 1088 pages are packed full of information

that
is still relevant and a great source of reference.
The Book?
It's "The Popular Encyclopedia of Gardening"
Edited by H.H.Thomas and Gordon Forsyth (Who was then
Editor of Popular Gardening)
Published by The Waverley Book Company Ltd of London

There is no date of publishing and I would love to get a date for the

book,
My feeling is that it was published before the War.

I has a quick search and found a reference on the following page to the same
title published as a number of volumes instead of a single book, labelled as
'about 1920'
so presumably the amalgamation into a single volume was later than that.

http://touchwoodbooks.co.nz/2h/tsecdict.html

Old 16-03-2003, 09:44 AM
david

Many Thanks Martin
That seems to confirm my idea that the book was published in the 30's., also
got me looking at a few other of my gardening books,
Most interesting is
The Illustrated Dictionary of Gardening A practical and Scientific
Encyclopaedia of Horticulture
by George Nicholson
Seems to have been published in around 1888
English printing.
The only thing is I am a volume short only having 7 of the 8
every illustration seems to be an engraving.
Has made me look at it again.
--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 16-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Pete The Gardener

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:44:57 -0000, "david"
wrote:

got me looking at a few other of my gardening books,
Most interesting is
The Illustrated Dictionary of Gardening A practical and Scientific
Encyclopaedia of Horticulture
by George Nicholson
Seems to have been published in around 1888
English printing.
The only thing is I am a volume short only having 7 of the 8
every illustration seems to be an engraving.
Has made me look at it again.

I've got this in 4 volumes, published in 1888, between September and
December. Looking at the supplement it was first published in monthly
instalments from March 1884 through to October 1887. Could you have a
bound version of this? I agree, it is a lovely book. Have you come
across The Gardeners Assistant: Practical and Scientific, by Robert
Thompson, mine is a late edition revised by Thomas Moore and published
in 1878. It's got 32 colour plates in the front and loads of text
figures all the way through. I love the old gardening books, they
contain so much insight into what the job used to be like, as well as
being a very useful reference for old techniques that could otherwise
become lost.
I've just had to reorganise my books because I've aquired a new book
case so I've been looking at some of them again for the first time in
several years:-)
AS far as newish books are concerned, I've just picked up a very
interesting book called Weather in the Garden, by Jane Taylor,
published by John Murray Ltd. in 1996 ISBN 0-7195-5267-2 It covers not
only climate but the adaptations different plants make to survive in
their native homes and why some plants do better in certain gardens
than others, inspite of their home climates being moderately similar.
--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Old 16-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:44:57 -0000, david wrote:

Many Thanks Martin
That seems to confirm my idea that the book was published in the 30's., also
got me looking at a few other of my gardening books,
Most interesting is
The Illustrated Dictionary of Gardening A practical and Scientific
Encyclopaedia of Horticulture
by George Nicholson
Seems to have been published in around 1888
English printing.
The only thing is I am a volume short only having 7 of the 8
every illustration seems to be an engraving.
Has made me look at it again.

Nicholson is the direct predecessor of the RHS Dictionary of
Gardening, first published ca. 1950, and is the lineal successor
of a gardening compendium published in the early 1800's.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 16-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Eur Ing John Rye

Hello All

In article ,
david wrote:
My "Bible" was bought by my Mother in 1953 in a Book Sale in W.H. Smiths,
and cost the princely sum of 5 Guineas I Have had it rebound and its 1088
pages are packed full of information that is still relevant and a great
source of reference. The Book? It's "The Popular Encyclopedia of
Gardening" Edited by H.H.Thomas and Gordon Forsyth (Who was then Editor of
Popular Gardening) Published by The Waverley Book Company Ltd of London

There is no date of publishing and I would love to get a date for the book,
My feeling is that it was published before the War.

I also use this book a great deal.

Again my copy has no publication date, but the preface says that it was first
published "20 years ago", and implies that the names were checked for changes
before it was reprinted. 20 years before 1953 would be 1933. At one time an
elderly uncle of mine I think had a copy of the original version. Next time I
see him I will check if he still has it.

Two books that I frequently look at are :-

Grow Your Own Fruit & Vegetables by Lawrence D Hills. My copy was published
in 1974.

Of course Lawrence Hills was the man who started the HDRA

and

The Hamlyn Encyclopedia of House Plants by Rob Herwig. This was originally
published in Dutch, but my copy is the English Translation published in 1984.

It still covers 99% of the house plants you might want to grow, and gives
guidance on soil, temperature and light required for each one.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

--
EurIng J Rye CEng FIEE Electrical Engineering Consultant
18 Wentworth Close Hadleigh IPSWICH IP7 5SA England

Old 16-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Rod

"Natalie" wrote in message ...

"Tarzan" wrote in message
re gardening books whats the favourites around here with readers?
one of my faves is Garden Flowers by Christopher LLoyd.
how would you rate the others ??

The RHS A-Z of Plants is a great favourite of mine together with RHS
Encyclopaedia of House Plants and the new RHS Herb Encyclopedia.

Natalie

I probably use the A-Z more than anything but for pleasure I like anything by Christopher Lloyd and I've just renewed my
aquaintance with Beth Chatto through her 2 books The Damp Garden and The Dry Garden. Just as fresh and relevant as they
were 20 years ago. She takes the reader through the development of her garden over the years and you're there with her
talking just to you. They aren't picture books, writing of this quality doesn't need to be propped up by lots of
pictures - but they are beautifully if sparsely illustrated with line drawings by Margaret Davies.
The main body is not all that long and is followed by an alphabetical list of plants with descriptions and personal
notes and also by classified lists of plants for particular conditions.

http://www.psbooks.co.uk/ has the american hardback editions of these at £7.99 iirc. The American editor has added a few
super colour photos and an article about hardiness zones and American sources for the plants.

Rod

Old 16-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Chris Stewart

"Tarzan" wrote in message
re gardening books whats the favourites around here with readers?
one of my faves is Garden Flowers by Christopher LLoyd.
how would you rate the others ??

Mine is a readers digest wonder - "Illustrated Guide to Gardening" - bound
in hessian to look like a sack, I suppose :-) Printed in 1975 and still
regularly used!

Chris S

Old 17-03-2003, 09:20 AM
david

I've got this in 4 volumes, published in 1888, between September and
December. Looking at the supplement it was first published in monthly
instalments from March 1884 through to October 1887. Could you have a
bound version of this?

As I said I have the first 7 volumes priced at 8/6d a volume, the last
entry in Vol 7 is turnips..... so don't know what I am missing from there
on.
On close examination I see it was bought 2nd hand in 1934 for the princely
sum of 14shillings for 7 volumes so there has always been one missing from
the family collection.. might account for why we never grew Vines. Wisteria
...Zinnias etc.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 19-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Pete The Gardener

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:14:51 -0000, "david"
wrote:

As I said I have the first 7 volumes priced at 8/6d a volume, the last
entry in Vol 7 is turnips..... so don't know what I am missing from there
on.

Well after Turnip mine goes on to 'Turnip, Devil's', 'Turnip Flea',
'Turnip Galls', 'Turnip, Indian', 'Turnip, Lion's', 'Turnip Moths',
'Turnip Radish', 'Turnip-rooted Celery', 'Turnip, St. Anthony's',
'Turnip Sawfly', 'Turnip-seed Weevil', before it gets onto 'Turnsole',
'Turpentine Tree' and 'Turpentine Vessels'

On close examination I see it was bought 2nd hand in 1934 for the princely
sum of 14shillings for 7 volumes so there has always been one missing from
the family collection.. might account for why we never grew Vines. Wisteria
..Zinnias etc.

:-)