Old 17-05-2006, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
frdmsbst KY

Default Best vegetable for a beginner to grow?

I don't know about animals.

Normally, I believe asparagus is planted in March - that's when I
planted it. And the latest advice on harvesting says that you can do a
light - i.e. 2-3 weeks worth - harvesting the very next spring. I did
that, and it was fine. The following year, you can do a complete
harvest of 8 weeks. I think it is well worth the wait.

The best source of any kind of information about what to plant in your
area, when, animals, etc. would be your USDA County Extension agent.
They should be in the phone book. If not, they are usually connected
with your major state university. I would recommend giving them a
call. They have been very helpful to me.

Good luck!