Old 17-05-2006, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
JMagerl

Default Peony dead spot

I have a row of about 20 peony plants established about 20 years ago. They
grow great and bloom great with one exception. Right in the middle of the
row is a dead spot. Nothing will grow there. If I plant a peony there, it
will send a shoot up in the spring but before it is 6 inches tall, the base
will rot and thats it. I have tried digging out the soil and replacing it to
no avail. What's my next step? What do I look for? I'm thinking of just
digging the two established plants on either side and moving them just a tad
bit closer together to smooth out the gap but I really would like to get a
new plant to grow