Old 17-05-2006, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
JMagerl

Default Peony dead spot

I have a row of about 20 peony plants established about 20 years ago. They
grow great and bloom great with one exception. Right in the middle of the
row is a dead spot. Nothing will grow there. If I plant a peony there, it
will send a shoot up in the spring but before it is 6 inches tall, the base
will rot and thats it. I have tried digging out the soil and replacing it to
no avail. What's my next step? What do I look for? I'm thinking of just
digging the two established plants on either side and moving them just a tad
bit closer together to smooth out the gap but I really would like to get a
new plant to grow

Old 18-05-2006, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val

"Bill R" wrote in message

What is the flower in the last picture of page #30?

Old 18-05-2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

Val wrote:
"Bill R" wrote in message

What is the flower in the last picture of page #30?

It is a Dianthis called "Black and White Minstrals". I got the seeds
from Thompson & Morgan, http://www.thompson-morgan.com
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969

Old 20-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Registered User

Smile

Bill R Val wrote:
"Bill R" wrote in message

To see pictures from my garden visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

What is the flower in the last picture of page #30?

It is a Dianthis called "Black and White Minstrals". I got the seeds
from Thompson & Morgan, http://www.thompson-morgan.com
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969

unless u definitely know what is causing the spot not to grow anything
i really wouldnt jump at moving your peony bushes closer together
because i dont think this is going to solve your problem.
i do think that if u did this u might end up losing two good bushes
that are well established just for the fact of closing in a bare spot.
an idea might be to find a statue or something that would accent
your peony garden and place it on the bare area rather than
start fooling around with something that is really well established.
the only other thing that u could do is get a soil test kit and test
your soil or send a soil sample away to be tested.
good luck, sockiescat.