Old 17-05-2006, 06:29 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.garden
Stubby

Default Quikrete Mix for setting fence posts???

I've been told that any Quikrete mix (like the #1101) will set up if
poured dry. I've also been told that the fast setting the fast setting
#1004 is far better. Someone even told me that the non-fast setting will
only have half the strength of the red bag, fast setting mix if poured
dry. I'd like to save some money if possible but don't want to sacrifice
strength

Quickcrete (brand name) is expensive. Use the no name stuff sold by Lowes
or HD..about half the price
For fencepost "anchors" it doesnt matter..Why do you need fast setting ?
Just brace the posts and let it set overnight.

But you should think about providing bearing surface rather than just a
blob on the bottom of the post. Spread it out horizontally a few
inches down in the dirt. Or use long horizontal rebar to stablize it.