Old 18-05-2006, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Plant Info

Default Flower ID

Oh my, a beautiful poppy, and apparently a perennial. Hope you like where
it's planted -- they HATE being moved!
Suzy, Zone 5, Wisconsin

"kate" wrote in message
I started watching this plant last year when it appeared in my yard. The
basal leaves hugged the ground and I mowed around it. It never grew but it
never died, staying green this past winter. It started growing this year
and I've been watching the buds (it has several.) This morning it bloomed
and what a surprise - the petals look papery and the leaves are bristle
like. The flower looks like a tulip but the foliage doesn't look like any
tulip I've seen (or planted.)

Ideas?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22689682@N00/

Kate