Old 18-05-2006, 10:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave Gillingham

Default Dendrobium Books

Susan,

I use Lavarack et al as my bible, supported by Baker & Baker. I don't know
which changes are concerning you, but, over here, there's a lot of "agree to
disagree" about many of the taxonomic changes. My personal perception is that
there's a fair bit of "academic exercise" in the process. You known the old
university axiom of "publish or perish". One of our society members has an
involvement in the taxonomic process, at least in regard to Aussie Dens, and I
frequently hear him say things like "that has not yet been widely accepted".

In the Lavarack et al book, the three authors concede that they could not agree
on some classifications. Their attitude was - "Here are the options; until
there's general acceptance, use the one you prefer". Then I go north and talk
to enthusiasts who spend weeks of their own time every year in the field up
there and, on the basis of what they observe, they are reluctant to accept some
of the classifications of northern dendrobes that are well acceptes by we
"outsiders" down here!

On Wed, 17 May 2006 08:56:47 -0600, Susan Erickson wrote:

We are looking at Dendrobium books in light of all the new changes to
the group, I want some recommendations.

Do you think the changes will take?
Who is the best author?

These are the two new books on the market -
Dendrobium and it's Relatives by Bill Lavarack, Wayne Harris -
paperback and not released until 8/15/06.

The Dendrobiums by Howard P. Wood - hardback
released 7/15/06.

Is there a different book I should be looking at for current
information? These are the two that Amazon lists as current.
We do have the Baker book, but it is from 1996.

Thanks for the advise.
SuE

Dave Gillingham