Old 18-05-2006, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default pineapple

Barbara wrote ...
Has anyone had any luck growing a pineapple from its crown [top]?
Heard it is possible. Appreciate any advice.

Yes. Years ago 100 yds from the S. coast in a S. facing greenhouse I cut the
top off a fruit, took off all the soft fruit and a few bottom leaves and
planted it in some JI 3 compost. It grew. Slowely got bigger until it had a
small fruit of it's own growing out the top on a stalk, then it died.
Interesting experiment, not one I could be bothered to repeat unless I find
myself in the same situation again and this time I would plant it in the
ground in that very hot greenhouse where I suspect it would grow bigger and
you would get better fruit.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden