Old 18-05-2006, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Greenfingers???

Default pineapple

Has anyone had any luck growing a pineapple from its crown [top]?
Heard it is possible. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Barbara

Old 18-05-2006, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
"Greenfingers???" writes:

| Has anyone had any luck growing a pineapple from its crown [top]?
| Heard it is possible. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Once. It grew vaguely for a while, then we got bored with it. Most
pineapples you buy have the centre removed, and they won't grow.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-05-2006, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Greenfingers??? wrote:
Has anyone had any luck growing a pineapple from its crown [top]?
Heard it is possible. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Barbara

Cut off the top with about 1 inch of flesh.

Cut down arounf the crown leaving a "plug with leaves"

Peel back and remove the outer leaves until you find nodules (it will be
clear when you do)

Suspend over a glass with 3 coctail sticks witht he end in the water.

Wait till root growth fills the glass then plant very carefully in soft
compost as the roots are fragile.

pk

Old 18-05-2006, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Barbara wrote ...
Has anyone had any luck growing a pineapple from its crown [top]?
Heard it is possible. Appreciate any advice.

Yes. Years ago 100 yds from the S. coast in a S. facing greenhouse I cut the
top off a fruit, took off all the soft fruit and a few bottom leaves and
planted it in some JI 3 compost. It grew. Slowely got bigger until it had a
small fruit of it's own growing out the top on a stalk, then it died.
Interesting experiment, not one I could be bothered to repeat unless I find
myself in the same situation again and this time I would plant it in the
ground in that very hot greenhouse where I suspect it would grow bigger and
you would get better fruit.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfingers???

try this link http://agrss.sherman.hawaii.edu/pineapple/pinegrow.htm

Old 19-05-2006, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

mrs-baggins wrote:
Greenfingers??? Wrote:
Has anyone had any luck growing a pineapple from its crown [top]?
Heard it is possible. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Barbara

try this link http://tinyurl.com/o428x

Note, though, that the text at that URL comes from Hawai'i. On Sunday,
Flowerdew said it would take three years to fruit in Britain: it didn't
seem difficult, but one clearly has to be meticulous. GQT on the BBC
website probably repeats his instructions.

--
Mike.

Old 19-05-2006, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
g len

g'day barbara,

that's how the pineapple farmers grow them, i have had good luck
getting tops to grow that is very easy, but as for getting fruit the
size the farmers do that's another story, can take 19 months to 3
years for them to fruit. not sure how you will go in yor climate you
may need to ahve them in a climate control hot house as over here they
grow in full on summer sun.

to grow a top just twist it off the fruit and peel away a couple of
layers of the bottome smaller leaves then just stick the top into some
medium or the agrden and water it is but don't over water in follow up
once growing they don't need a lot of water.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://mywebsite.bigpond.com/gardenlen2/
Old 20-05-2006, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Greenfingers???

THANK YOU ALL,
I think with all the ideas you've given me I shall try to plant the
pineapple soon.
Hope to see some results soon

Regards
Barbara

Old 25-05-2006, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ford Prefect

On 20 May 2006 11:56:02 -0700, "Greenfingers???"
wrote:

THANK YOU ALL,
I think with all the ideas you've given me I shall try to plant the
pineapple soon.
Hope to see some results soon

Regards
Barbara

My wife grew one once when she was a child said the flowers smelled
terrible so she trashed the plant.
Ford.

My Pineapple Sage is Blooming!!! Mark Anderson Gardening 12 07-11-2003 09:42 PM
Eucomis Bicolor (Pineapple Lily) hhhouse Gardening 1 11-10-2003 11:42 PM
Pineapple James Mayer Edible Gardening 0 17-09-2003 01:42 AM
Pineapple? JNJ Gardening 15 12-04-2003 02:32 AM
Is pineapple a fruit? Ted Shoemaker Gardening 18 14-03-2003 09:56 PM