Old 19-05-2006, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default problems with gardeningexpress.co.uk

"Justin Thyme" wrote in message
Anyone had experience of buying from gardeningexpress.co.uk? I placed an
order 3 weeks ago and haven't received it. Their phone always has a
pre-recorded message and they are not responding to emails or contact
through their support system. Wondered if anyone else had similar

problems.
Most disappointed in their service.

Indeed they don't seem to be in the phone book on the BT website
either, with a non-800 number. I would be worried about that
and the fact they don't give a postal address. The "about us" page
is basically PR boloney, IMO. "Started in the late 1990's by a
teenager." I won't say any more as it may be actionable.
I doubt if thsoe glasshouses are theirs\his either.

Maybe someone will post with a good report of this firm,
and all this caution will be shown to be misplaced

The problem with some web based companies is that they
don't actually stock all the items shown on their website
but buy the stuff in on demand. This way they can produce
really impressive looking on-line catalogues without the
expense of actually holding any stock. Some of them - new
startups especially are quite possibly being run on a shoestring
by one or two people working part time. If they have trouble
with their suppliers, through ordering in dribs and drabs
perhaps, then you will too.

I find it's often easier to use a website to browse the
stock and then order over the telephone. This is often just
as quick - costs relatively little nowadays - and you know
you can deal with a real person if things go wrong. As well
as asking questions and obtaining any necessary assurances.
Certainly with an unknown supplier.

Whereas impressive looking websites can well be run on a
shoestring with very little resources behind them.

As a matter of interest, where did you learn about this firm ?

michael adams