Old 19-05-2006, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jack Schmidling

Default Fertilizers

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Are there any recommended sites selling soil tests? I've never tested
mine but confess the idea intriques me.

Google will pull in a bunch but you are talking about $50 per sample.

I looked into the do-it-yourself aspect and spent less than that for a
dozen tests but the results leave me scratching my head.

No matter where I sample in my gardens or across the road in a corn
field, I find that nothing could possibly grow anywhere. All the
nutrients are below the detectable level and the pH is over 8.

I use chicken, sheep and goat manure every year along with granular fert
ever other year so I have little faith in these tests.

I would be interested in knowing what other have learned using these.

js