Old 14-05-2006, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
higgledy

Default Fertilizers

In choosing a fertilizer, is the overall ratio of N-P-K important or
the individual amounts of N, P, or K the sole qualifying factor?

For example, "Root Stimulators" have a high phosphorous but near-null
of N or K.

Another example: Bloom or leaf stimulators have a high amount of
nitrogen and little P or K. So is it the ratio of N to P to K? Or
amount of a single component N that makes the leaves grow and flowers
bloom?

Old 14-05-2006, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ratios are tailored to a specific crop.
If in doubt or lacking a soil test you can try some 10-10-10 or 5-10-5.
But a soil test will help you choose more efficiently.

Old 15-05-2006, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Remember though that these numbers are ratios. The actual quantities of
nutrients could be higher or lower. A soil test is the best place to
start. Say, for instance the 5-10-5 could also say 1-2-1, and still be
the the same ratio, but the quantity would be higher for each of
5-10-5.

Old 15-05-2006, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
John A. Keslick, Jr.

What about the other 14 essential elements?

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.
oups.com...

Old 19-05-2006, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jack Schmidling

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Are there any recommended sites selling soil tests? I've never tested
mine but confess the idea intriques me.

Google will pull in a bunch but you are talking about $50 per sample.

I looked into the do-it-yourself aspect and spent less than that for a
dozen tests but the results leave me scratching my head.

No matter where I sample in my gardens or across the road in a corn
field, I find that nothing could possibly grow anywhere. All the
nutrients are below the detectable level and the pH is over 8.

I use chicken, sheep and goat manure every year along with granular fert
ever other year so I have little faith in these tests.

I would be interested in knowing what other have learned using these.

js

Old 19-05-2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Layne

I second Andrew on this. The NPK numbers are not ratios, but rather
percentages. Numbers like 10-10-10 mean that the fertilizer has 10% of
each NPK component. 5-10-5 does not contain the same amount of NPK as
1-2-1. If you're talking ratio, yes the ratios are the same, but the
total amount of NPK is much higher in the 5-10-5 fert. Also, FWIW,
higher NPK numbers don't mean the fert is of higher quality. Typically
synthetic ferts have higher NPK numbers than organic ferts, but it can
be argued that organic ferts are better in quality because they have
other nutrients that plants require for good health.

Layne

Old 19-05-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

Are there any recommended sites selling soil tests? I've never tested
mine but confess the idea intriques me.

Typically, the state agricultural university or the extension service
offers tests, though I know that's not true in all states. At least
as of a few years ago, Iowa State's soil lab would accept out of state
samples for testing, but you'd have a very long wait in the rush season
(Feb-May), as in state farm samples have priority. Note sampling guidelines.
http://www.agron.iastate.edu/soiltesting/prices.html

Directory of soil testing labs:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/directory/soil_test/

[IMG] code is On

fertilizers Sabaa Mundia Gardening 3 22-04-2003 01:44 PM
fertilizers Christopher Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 20-04-2003 06:26 AM
Carbon in filter: Really absorbs liquid fertilizers?? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:24 AM
fertilizers Christopher Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 08-04-2003 03:44 PM
Carbon in filter: Really absorbs liquid fertilizers?? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 03-03-2003 09:31 PM