Old 19-05-2006, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
hob

Default Questions about lawn fertilizers

" Netter" wrote in message
Why is it that if I apply plain fertilizer to my lawn and don't wash it

from
the foliage it burns the foliage.

But if I apply weed and feed I leave it on the foliage without it burning?

In short - concentration of the fertilizer salts - one dilute, the other
concentrated

After I apply it when and for how long is the fertilizer available for the
plants.

dry types, depends. Some are not taken up below 45 degrees (it's either
urea or ammonium nitrate),
others as soon as water brings the dilute inorganic salts to the root
hairs.

Thanks in advance