Old 19-05-2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Netter

Default Questions about lawn fertilizers

Why is it that if I apply plain fertilizer to my lawn and don't wash it from
the foliage it burns the foliage.

But if I apply weed and feed I leave it on the foliage without it burning?

After I apply it when and for how long is the fertilizer available for the
plants.

Thanks in advance

Old 19-05-2006, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
hob

" Netter" wrote in message
Why is it that if I apply plain fertilizer to my lawn and don't wash it

from
the foliage it burns the foliage.

But if I apply weed and feed I leave it on the foliage without it burning?

In short - concentration of the fertilizer salts - one dilute, the other
concentrated

After I apply it when and for how long is the fertilizer available for the
plants.

dry types, depends. Some are not taken up below 45 degrees (it's either
urea or ammonium nitrate),
others as soon as water brings the dilute inorganic salts to the root
hairs.

Thanks in advance

Old 19-05-2006, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
John A. Keslick, Jr.

" Netter" wrote in message
Why is it that if I apply plain fertilizer to my lawn and don't wash it

from
the foliage it burns the foliage.

But if I apply weed and feed I leave it on the foliage without it burning?

First of all fertilizer is not food for plants. People who think they feed
trees should feed the plant real good and place it in a dark closet and see
how long it can be fed. Plants manufacture their own food. Animals do not.
Their are exceptions like the Ghost Flower which has no chlorophyll. It
gets its food from other plants. People who call essential elements food
and nutrients have no understanding of photosynthesis. When you apply
ammonium nitrate it can burn plants. Remember when we say fertilize that
there are 17 essential elements. Most people only care about 3 elements.
N-P-K. What about the requirement of the plant for the other elements?
Beware of product pushers.

You may find some useful information here.

1. Techno Tree Biology Dictionary
http://www.treedictionary.com . Look up "logging".

2. Articles written by DR. ALEX L. SHIGO, one of the foremost authorities
worldwide on tree systems today online at
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/index.html

3. Literature Available by Dr. Shigo is he
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/treeinfo.html

4. Hard to get Documents
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...get/index.html

If you have any suggestions please let me know. 610-864-5251

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Tree Biologist
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
that we are not the boss.