Old 20-05-2006, 02:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

Default Craftsman tractor doesn't move???

I don't know what I did to the old chariot. It was fine when I put it
away. However, I started the engine and put it in gear, but it didn't
more. No gears work. The belt(s) are in position and the drive pulley
on the transaxle rotates when I let the clutch out. The brake rod and
gear selector seem to be working alright. Everything looks fine, but
the wheels don't go around.

Perhaps one of the several Woodruff keys is sheared off. I'm sure I
drove it into the garage parking spot but shearing off a key would seem
to require something dramatic.

I'm not confident in the abilities of the local repair shop so I'm
looking for advice from this group. Are there tests I can do to figure
out what's wrong?

Is it a big job to tear apart the transaxle? Can I pop off the top
cover without removing it from the chassis of the tractor? I have a
small wheel puller for pulling off car steering wheels, etc. That might
help. Please advise.