Old 20-05-2006, 02:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

Default Craftsman tractor doesn't move???

I don't know what I did to the old chariot. It was fine when I put it
away. However, I started the engine and put it in gear, but it didn't
more. No gears work. The belt(s) are in position and the drive pulley
on the transaxle rotates when I let the clutch out. The brake rod and
gear selector seem to be working alright. Everything looks fine, but
the wheels don't go around.

Perhaps one of the several Woodruff keys is sheared off. I'm sure I
drove it into the garage parking spot but shearing off a key would seem
to require something dramatic.

I'm not confident in the abilities of the local repair shop so I'm
looking for advice from this group. Are there tests I can do to figure
out what's wrong?

Is it a big job to tear apart the transaxle? Can I pop off the top
cover without removing it from the chassis of the tractor? I have a
small wheel puller for pulling off car steering wheels, etc. That might
help. Please advise.
Old 20-05-2006, 11:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

Srgnt Billko wrote:
"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Does this machine have a high & low range ? If so, make sure that control
isn't in neutral.

The tractor has 6 forward speeds and reverse. It behaves like its stuck
in neutral. I seem to recall times in the past when it would get stuck
this way briefly. Rolling backward or something seemed to free it up.
I'm going to try that later on.
Old 20-05-2006, 04:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

Stubby wrote:
Srgnt Billko wrote:
"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

My conclusion is that the brake/clutch is not working. The tractor
rolls around with or without the brake being activated. Of course, the
same mechanism controls the clutch. I adjusted the linkage per the
manual, but it still doesn't work.

Can anybody explain to how that brake and the clutch work in the
transaxle? I see the brake disk in the diagram and assume that turning
the shaft closes some parts together to press on the disk. But I don't
see anything remotely like a clutch. The diagram is not clear about
what touches what in the transaxle.
Old 20-05-2006, 05:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

"Stubby" wrote in message
news
Can anybody explain to how that brake and the clutch work in the
transaxle? I see the brake disk in the diagram and assume that turning
the shaft closes some parts together to press on the disk. But I don't
see anything remotely like a clutch. The diagram is not clear about what
touches what in the transaxle.

Ive got a tractor like yours. The "clutch" is a pulley that tightens the
drive belt. There's no clutch in the trans. I suspect you left the tractor
parked with the foot brake/clutch locked and the clutch linkage has siezed
in that position. It's difficult to see or access that linkage with the
mower deck in place. Removing the mower deck is not hard.

Old 21-05-2006, 04:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

Chas Hurst wrote:
"Stubby" wrote in message
news
Can anybody explain to how that brake and the clutch work in the
transaxle? I see the brake disk in the diagram and assume that turning
the shaft closes some parts together to press on the disk. But I don't
see anything remotely like a clutch. The diagram is not clear about what
touches what in the transaxle.

Ive got a tractor like yours. The "clutch" is a pulley that tightens the
drive belt. There's no clutch in the trans. I suspect you left the tractor
parked with the foot brake/clutch locked and the clutch linkage has siezed
in that position. It's difficult to see or access that linkage with the
mower deck in place. Removing the mower deck is not hard.

It's hard for me to see in there but I did manage to get the
brake/clutch linkage adjusted to 1.5".

The pulley-clutch is for the mowing deck. I don't see how it would
affect the tractor drive.

But, I believe your advice on checking that the brake/clutch links is
free is good. I do park it with the brake on. I'll drop the mowing
deck for a good view, but that is heavy and hard to do. Thanks.