Old 20-05-2006, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John Savage

Default aloe vera growing underplastic

jim wrote:
We had first go at putting aloe plants outside (mid Scotland Uk) under
plastic in begining of april but found the leaves going a sick yellow .
have saved the lot by fostering them out to family members window sills
and all but one have returned to vibrant green.

Aloe is *very* tough. My Mum has it growing out in the full Australian sun
all summer, in a bed with no shade and with a few dozen days of 30+ temps,
so I doubt that your Scottish sunshine will knock it about much. :-)

Sure, it develops an orange or russett colour around the edges and tips of
the leaves, but it struggles on unfazed and during winter when the sun is
not so fierce the leaf colour returns to its verdant green. No damage is
done, and the main thing is that its juice soothes scorched fingers and
sunburnt shoulders just as effectively!