Old 11-05-2006, 07:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
jim

Default aloe vera growing underplastic

We had first go at putting aloe plants outside (mid Scotland Uk) under
plastic in begining of april but found the leaves going a sick yellow . have
saved the lot by fostering them out to family members window sills and all
but one have returned to vibrant green.
Compost was normal
slug damage high
weather has been good/ warm since behind glass
poly tunnel was a 450mm high medium sized type

Enlightendment needed, .. even ideas on what might be wrong

thanks in advance

Old 12-05-2006, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
kate

jim wrote:
We had first go at putting aloe plants outside (mid Scotland Uk) under
plastic in begining of april but found the leaves going a sick yellow . have
saved the lot by fostering them out to family members window sills and all
but one have returned to vibrant green.
Compost was normal
slug damage high
weather has been good/ warm since behind glass
poly tunnel was a 450mm high medium sized type

Enlightendment needed, .. even ideas on what might be wrong

thanks in advance

Too much sun, I think. I tried tried something similar this winter and
they weren't pleased. I brought them back in until there was enough
shade outside. My neighbor puts them out in full sun every year and they
all get sunburned until we convince him to put them in the shade.

HTH,

Kate

Old 20-05-2006, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John Savage

jim wrote:
We had first go at putting aloe plants outside (mid Scotland Uk) under
plastic in begining of april but found the leaves going a sick yellow .
have saved the lot by fostering them out to family members window sills
and all but one have returned to vibrant green.

Aloe is *very* tough. My Mum has it growing out in the full Australian sun
all summer, in a bed with no shade and with a few dozen days of 30+ temps,
so I doubt that your Scottish sunshine will knock it about much. :-)

Sure, it develops an orange or russett colour around the edges and tips of
the leaves, but it struggles on unfazed and during winter when the sun is
not so fierce the leaf colour returns to its verdant green. No damage is
done, and the main thing is that its juice soothes scorched fingers and
sunburnt shoulders just as effectively!

Old 20-05-2006, 07:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
tenacity

Man, AV is the scourge of Phx. People put it in pots and in the ground,
and it's so freakin' tough that it just takes over and spills out over
the ground. It keep spreading like crazy until it hits cement or a
solid year of neglect.

I finally came to peace with AV by learning to harvest it, scrape the
flesh out of the blades in long strips, blending it, and freezing it.
That way through the summer I just pull out a tub of it and keep it in
the fridge for burns.

Old 20-05-2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
kate

John Savage wrote:

jim wrote:

We had first go at putting aloe plants outside (mid Scotland Uk) under
plastic in begining of april but found the leaves going a sick yellow .
have saved the lot by fostering them out to family members window sills
and all but one have returned to vibrant green.

Aloe is *very* tough. My Mum has it growing out in the full Australian sun
all summer, in a bed with no shade and with a few dozen days of 30+ temps,
so I doubt that your Scottish sunshine will knock it about much. :-)

Where it's a perennial, in the ground, it does great in full sun. The
potted ones that have to go in every winter are a different story.

Sure, it develops an orange or russett colour around the edges and tips of
the leaves, but it struggles on unfazed and during winter when the sun is
not so fierce the leaf colour returns to its verdant green. No damage is
done, and the main thing is that its juice soothes scorched fingers and
sunburnt shoulders just as effectively!

Indeed, a wonderful plant to have!

Kate

Growing Aloe vera indoors mmyvusenet[_2_] Plant Science 0 08-09-2010 03:10 AM
Growing Aloe Vera mmyvusenet Plant Science 0 15-08-2010 06:18 PM
Follow up to Aloe vera rooting and growing question - here's more info Laura at theGardenPages Gardening 1 12-03-2006 08:24 AM
Aloe Vera Plants jammer Plant Biology 13 13-11-2005 09:07 PM
Aloe vera - too soon to put outside? kate Gardening 17 25-03-2003 02:32 PM