Old 20-05-2006, 04:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

Default Craftsman tractor doesn't move???

Stubby wrote:
Srgnt Billko wrote:
"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
I don't know what I did to the old chariot. It was fine when I put
it away. However, I started the engine and put it in gear, but it
didn't more. No gears work. The belt(s) are in position and the
drive pulley on the transaxle rotates when I let the clutch out. The
brake rod and gear selector seem to be working alright. Everything
looks fine, but the wheels don't go around.

Perhaps one of the several Woodruff keys is sheared off. I'm sure I
drove it into the garage parking spot but shearing off a key would
seem to require something dramatic.

I'm not confident in the abilities of the local repair shop so I'm
looking for advice from this group. Are there tests I can do to
figure out what's wrong?

Is it a big job to tear apart the transaxle? Can I pop off the top
cover without removing it from the chassis of the tractor? I have a
small wheel puller for pulling off car steering wheels, etc. That
might help. Please advise.

Does this machine have a high & low range ? If so, make sure that
control isn't in neutral.

The tractor has 6 forward speeds and reverse. It behaves like its stuck
in neutral. I seem to recall times in the past when it would get stuck
this way briefly. Rolling backward or something seemed to free it up.
I'm going to try that later on.

My conclusion is that the brake/clutch is not working. The tractor
rolls around with or without the brake being activated. Of course, the
same mechanism controls the clutch. I adjusted the linkage per the
manual, but it still doesn't work.

Can anybody explain to how that brake and the clutch work in the
transaxle? I see the brake disk in the diagram and assume that turning
the shaft closes some parts together to press on the disk. But I don't
see anything remotely like a clutch. The diagram is not clear about
what touches what in the transaxle.