Old 16-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Rob

Default Dying bareroot

Susan, you probably saw this in my earlier post, but I've repeated it
below. I would not dig the bush up as has been suggested, because if it
has started developing tiny rootlets you'll destroy them.

I would also like to add that it is better NOT to mix in alfalfa in de
planting hole, as it might damage the roots when it decomposes.
Additionally, most rosarians recommend NOT to add any fertilizer when you
plant a bareroot rose. Other than damaging the plants roots, the abundance
of nutrients will make the rose think that it has enough roots already and
slow the development of its root system: it will make your rose lazy. Adding
decomposed organic material will do the job, as this releases its stored
nutrients slowly, and retains moisture.

Good luck!

Rob