Old 20-05-2006, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
kate

Default Plant I.D. Please...

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message om,
writes

Howdy all. I have an unknown plant growing out of a shasta daisy clump
that I transplanted earlier in the spring. It certainly doesn't look
like the other shasta daisies I have planted. Any ideas on what I have
growing here?
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...unknown_01.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...unknown_02.jpg

Any input is greatly appreciated.
-Felder

It's a plantain (Plantago). The British ones with similar leaves are
Ribwort Plantain (Plantago lanceolata) and Sea Plantain (Plantago
maritima), but I wouldn't be surprised if there's different species to
be found in the US.

No, it's Plantago lanceolata, imported from Europe. Once called White
man's footprint because everywhere white men went, Plantain followed.
It's wonderful on bee stings or splinters - it has great drawing out
action. Chew up a leaf and apply.

Kate