Old 20-05-2006, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Plant I.D. Please...

Howdy all. I have an unknown plant growing out of a shasta daisy clump
that I transplanted earlier in the spring. It certainly doesn't look
like the other shasta daisies I have planted. Any ideas on what I have
growing here?
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...unknown_01.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...unknown_02.jpg

Any input is greatly appreciated.
-Felder

Old 20-05-2006, 05:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message om,
writes
Howdy all. I have an unknown plant growing out of a shasta daisy clump
that I transplanted earlier in the spring. It certainly doesn't look
like the other shasta daisies I have planted. Any ideas on what I have
growing here?
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...unknown_01.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...unknown_02.jpg

Any input is greatly appreciated.
-Felder

It's a plantain (Plantago). The British ones with similar leaves are
Ribwort Plantain (Plantago lanceolata) and Sea Plantain (Plantago
maritima), but I wouldn't be surprised if there's different species to
be found in the US.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 20-05-2006, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
kate

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message om,
writes

Howdy all. I have an unknown plant growing out of a shasta daisy clump
that I transplanted earlier in the spring. It certainly doesn't look
like the other shasta daisies I have planted. Any ideas on what I have
growing here?
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...unknown_01.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...unknown_02.jpg

Any input is greatly appreciated.
-Felder

It's a plantain (Plantago). The British ones with similar leaves are
Ribwort Plantain (Plantago lanceolata) and Sea Plantain (Plantago
maritima), but I wouldn't be surprised if there's different species to
be found in the US.

No, it's Plantago lanceolata, imported from Europe. Once called White
man's footprint because everywhere white men went, Plantain followed.
It's wonderful on bee stings or splinters - it has great drawing out
action. Chew up a leaf and apply.

Kate
Old 21-05-2006, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Powerless Agronomist

wrote in message
ps.com...
Howdy all. I have an unknown plant growing out of a shasta daisy clump
that I transplanted earlier in the spring. It certainly doesn't look
like the other shasta daisies I have planted. Any ideas on what I have
growing here?
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...unknown_01.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...unknown_02.jpg

Any input is greatly appreciated.
-Felder

Some of Plantago genus, I think. For a centuries it has been used to put on
cuts on skin - it doesn't bleed fast heals, and a small scar left. Totaly
safe to use - not poisonous. or some other things - mostly Plantago major,
than also media and lanceolata and others Plantago. Try google and You'll be
pleasantly surprised.