Old 16-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Eur Ing John Rye

Default Must have books in your collection ?

Hello All

In article ,
david wrote:
My "Bible" was bought by my Mother in 1953 in a Book Sale in W.H. Smiths,
and cost the princely sum of 5 Guineas I Have had it rebound and its 1088
pages are packed full of information that is still relevant and a great
source of reference. The Book? It's "The Popular Encyclopedia of
Gardening" Edited by H.H.Thomas and Gordon Forsyth (Who was then Editor of
Popular Gardening) Published by The Waverley Book Company Ltd of London

There is no date of publishing and I would love to get a date for the book,
My feeling is that it was published before the War.

I also use this book a great deal.

Again my copy has no publication date, but the preface says that it was first
published "20 years ago", and implies that the names were checked for changes
before it was reprinted. 20 years before 1953 would be 1933. At one time an
elderly uncle of mine I think had a copy of the original version. Next time I
see him I will check if he still has it.

Two books that I frequently look at are :-

Grow Your Own Fruit & Vegetables by Lawrence D Hills. My copy was published
in 1974.

Of course Lawrence Hills was the man who started the HDRA

and

The Hamlyn Encyclopedia of House Plants by Rob Herwig. This was originally
published in Dutch, but my copy is the English Translation published in 1984.

It still covers 99% of the house plants you might want to grow, and gives
guidance on soil, temperature and light required for each one.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

--
EurIng J Rye CEng FIEE Electrical Engineering Consultant
18 Wentworth Close Hadleigh IPSWICH IP7 5SA England