Old 21-05-2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

Default Peonies

Sally, I would wait until late fall, or early spring. You will see the
little red buds coming up out of the ground and can split them to get some
of these buds in each part to be replanted.

I recently split and replanted mine along approx 80 feet of sidewalk along
my driveway and in front of my house. I planted them so that when they
bloom, no two next to each other, will be the same color. This season I
will see how well I did. My problem was planting them too deep. I had to
dig some and raise them an inch or so.

Good luck and have fun.

Dwayne

"Sally" wrote in message
I have a ton of peonies in my garden.

They are lovely, but I would like to move them around.

I've tried this before, and they didn't make it. Apparently, they are
very finicky to being moved.

I'm in western ny, zone 5 or 6 and they are all loaded with buds, about to
bloom soon.

When is the right time to transplant and/or split without killing them
off?

Sally