Old 21-05-2006, 12:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sally

Default Peonies

I have a ton of peonies in my garden.

They are lovely, but I would like to move them around.

I've tried this before, and they didn't make it. Apparently, they are very
finicky to being moved.

I'm in western ny, zone 5 or 6 and they are all loaded with buds, about to
bloom soon.

When is the right time to transplant and/or split without killing them off?

Sally

Old 21-05-2006, 01:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

According to information I have best time to move them is Sept-Mid-Oct and
yes you are correct. They don't like being moved so good luck. Here's a
link.
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...ranspeony.html

Old 21-05-2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

Sally, I would wait until late fall, or early spring. You will see the
little red buds coming up out of the ground and can split them to get some
of these buds in each part to be replanted.

I recently split and replanted mine along approx 80 feet of sidewalk along
my driveway and in front of my house. I planted them so that when they
bloom, no two next to each other, will be the same color. This season I
will see how well I did. My problem was planting them too deep. I had to
dig some and raise them an inch or so.

Good luck and have fun.

Dwayne

Old 21-05-2006, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

Sally wrote:
I have a ton of peonies in my garden.

They are lovely, but I would like to move them around.

I've tried this before, and they didn't make it. Apparently, they are very
finicky to being moved.

I'm in western ny, zone 5 or 6 and they are all loaded with buds, about to
bloom soon.

When is the right time to transplant and/or split without killing them off?

Sally

Sally,

The BEST time is in the fall or in the very early spring. The "trick"
in moving peonies is to not plant them too deeply in the new location.
Also, the first season after you move them remove any blooms that
develop on the plants. Feed the plants a couple of times during the
season. You should have some blooms the second season and the "normal"
amount of blooms the third season.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969

Old 21-05-2006, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

experts can split them into many plants. usually 5+ year old plants can be split in
two. move in fall after leaves have turned. the key is not getting the plants any
deeper or shallower than it was before when transplanting. Ingrid

"Sally" wrote:

I have a ton of peonies in my garden.

They are lovely, but I would like to move them around.

I've tried this before, and they didn't make it. Apparently, they are very
finicky to being moved.

I'm in western ny, zone 5 or 6 and they are all loaded with buds, about to
bloom soon.

When is the right time to transplant and/or split without killing them off?

Sally

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 21-05-2006, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gill Passman

Default Peonies - OT ping Ingrid

Hi Ingrid,

Please get in touch with either me or Jan about the situation on the
fish groups....

Gill
Old 21-05-2006, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lynn

Might be a bit late now so I would do it in the fall.
when my father -in-law dug up and tilled under his wife's garden (long
story) we found roots that we thought were rhubarb and took them home and
planted them and lo and behold they were her beautiful peonies that she used
to baby. What a lovely suprise to know that just part of her garden
survived. I have some of her rhubarb as well that is doing fanastic.

--
Lynn

Old 22-05-2006, 01:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sally

Thanks everyone! very helpful!

S.
"Sally" wrote in message
I have a ton of peonies in my garden.

They are lovely, but I would like to move them around.

I've tried this before, and they didn't make it. Apparently, they are
very finicky to being moved.

I'm in western ny, zone 5 or 6 and they are all loaded with buds, about to
bloom soon.

When is the right time to transplant and/or split without killing them
off?

Sally

[IMG] code is On

Planting tree peonies - where is the grafting point!?! Pelvis Popcan Gardening 1 10-10-2003 11:32 PM
peonies question FireBrick Lawns 2 27-06-2003 09:56 PM
Question about Peonies FireBrick Gardening 2 23-06-2003 08:20 PM
Help! There's something wrong with my Peonies!! BillC Gardening 4 27-05-2003 01:20 AM
will trade native orange daylilies for peonies? (Transplants from Zone 7) Tracy McDaniel Gardening 0 07-05-2003 03:20 PM