Old 21-05-2006, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

Default Peonies

Sally wrote:
I have a ton of peonies in my garden.

They are lovely, but I would like to move them around.

I've tried this before, and they didn't make it. Apparently, they are very
finicky to being moved.

I'm in western ny, zone 5 or 6 and they are all loaded with buds, about to
bloom soon.

When is the right time to transplant and/or split without killing them off?

Sally

Sally,

The BEST time is in the fall or in the very early spring. The "trick"
in moving peonies is to not plant them too deeply in the new location.
Also, the first season after you move them remove any blooms that
develop on the plants. Feed the plants a couple of times during the
season. You should have some blooms the second season and the "normal"
amount of blooms the third season.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969