Old 21-05-2006, 12:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Tom Randy

Default How does one repot an orchid?

On 2006-05-21 05:59:15 -0400, (ZZ) said:

Can a novice do it, or can a customer ask a floral shop to do the job?
I've had an orchid (grocery store variety) for about 10 years. It has
grown quite a few new leaves, and bloomed, over that time. @@@ Now the
leaves are so heavy they are slowly pulling the roots out of the flower
pot. Also I recently moved, and that seemed to hasten the exodus.
Right now I keep the orchid propped on something, but it seems I should
consider repotting. ### It has bloomed well every year, except the
first year after moving here. This spring it has produced one pretty
white flower, and has a bud for another one. It has not produced the
many trailing tendrils it did every year in its former abode. Here, the
orchid gets more natural sunlight (through a lace curtain). In the
previous house, it got only indirect outdoor light, but was under a
regular lamp that was lit many hours a day. @@@ Any tips will be
appreciated. Thanks!

Go get "Orchid growing for whimps" or "All about orchids". It's not hard to do.
Basically you soak the bark mix overnight to pre wet it and carefully
take the plant out and remove the old mix. Plop the plant in it's new
home and carefully re-fill the new mix around the roots.

Tom