Old 16-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Rod

Default Must have books in your collection ?

"Natalie" wrote in message ...

"Tarzan" wrote in message
re gardening books whats the favourites around here with readers?
one of my faves is Garden Flowers by Christopher LLoyd.
how would you rate the others ??

The RHS A-Z of Plants is a great favourite of mine together with RHS
Encyclopaedia of House Plants and the new RHS Herb Encyclopedia.

Natalie

I probably use the A-Z more than anything but for pleasure I like anything by Christopher Lloyd and I've just renewed my
aquaintance with Beth Chatto through her 2 books The Damp Garden and The Dry Garden. Just as fresh and relevant as they
were 20 years ago. She takes the reader through the development of her garden over the years and you're there with her
talking just to you. They aren't picture books, writing of this quality doesn't need to be propped up by lots of
pictures - but they are beautifully if sparsely illustrated with line drawings by Margaret Davies.
The main body is not all that long and is followed by an alphabetical list of plants with descriptions and personal
notes and also by classified lists of plants for particular conditions.

http://www.psbooks.co.uk/ has the american hardback editions of these at £7.99 iirc. The American editor has added a few
super colour photos and an article about hardiness zones and American sources for the plants.

Rod