Old 21-05-2006, 05:11 PM posted to austin.gardening
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Default Need a fast growing ground cover...

stuck wrote:

I am just fed up with weeding this one area by the AC units. Any ideas what
kind of fast growing ground cover I could plant there?

Thanks!
Bob
Romance, Luxury, and Lake Travis...
www.lakenights.com

Reinforced concrete works nicely (sorry, could not help myself). Actually,
remove the grass/weeds, place a layer of newspapers over the exposed earth
(about ten sheets thick, then a weed cover (you can get this at any of the
local garden shops or the big box stores) and then cover the weed cover with
about 4 to 6 inches of small stones (white limestone or river pebbles). Make
an edge around the stones (metal, plastic or plain old constructions bricks) to
keep the stones in place and prevent the grass from growing back. This will
provide a good surface for the A/C tech to work on and at the same time will
become part of your landscape scheme.

Makes for a nice weekend project.

Good luck,

Ray