Old 20-05-2006, 06:00 AM posted to austin.gardening
stuck

Default Need a fast growing ground cover...

I am just fed up with weeding this one area by the AC units. Any ideas what
kind of fast growing ground cover I could plant there?

Thanks!
Bob
Romance, Luxury, and Lake Travis...
www.lakenights.com

Old 20-05-2006, 01:48 PM posted to austin.gardening
stuck

Huh?

-Bob
www.lakenights.com

"Gene" wrote in message
Punkins

Old 20-05-2006, 02:39 PM posted to austin.gardening
David Wright

"stuck" wrote in message
I am just fed up with weeding this one area by the AC units. Any ideas what
kind of fast growing ground cover I could plant there?

How about mint?

David

Old 20-05-2006, 02:54 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Sat, 20 May 2006 05:00:43 GMT, "stuck" wrote:

I am just fed up with weeding this one area by the AC units. Any ideas what
kind of fast growing ground cover I could plant there?

Thanks!
Bob
Romance, Luxury, and Lake Travis...
www.lakenights.com

Ruellia, frog fruit, liriope, and many others.

Old 20-05-2006, 04:33 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

I have liriope next to mine.

Old 20-05-2006, 11:02 PM posted to austin.gardening
stuck

Asiatic Jasmine Wins! Just picked some up and will plant tonight...

Thanks!
Bob
www.lakenights.com

"Latosha Washington" wrote in message
Asiatic Jasmine.

Old 21-05-2006, 01:48 AM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"stuck" wrote:

Asiatic Jasmine Wins! Just picked some up and will plant tonight...

Thanks!
Bob

Make sure you don't care that it takes over, is invasive and very tough
stemmed.G
I have it planted on my front fence and it's a battle to keep it off the
front porch, and out of my herb garden.

Other than that. I like it.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 21-05-2006, 01:50 AM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Personally, I'd have chosen spearmint for that due to the availability
of water. It's easier to control and it's nice for flea control if you
have pets........ Pennyroyal, (also in the mint family) also works well
but is not edible.

In article ,
"Latosha Washington" wrote:

Asiatic Jasmine.

Old 21-05-2006, 05:11 PM posted to austin.gardening
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

stuck wrote:

I am just fed up with weeding this one area by the AC units. Any ideas what
kind of fast growing ground cover I could plant there?

Thanks!
Bob
Romance, Luxury, and Lake Travis...
www.lakenights.com

Reinforced concrete works nicely (sorry, could not help myself). Actually,
remove the grass/weeds, place a layer of newspapers over the exposed earth
(about ten sheets thick, then a weed cover (you can get this at any of the
local garden shops or the big box stores) and then cover the weed cover with
about 4 to 6 inches of small stones (white limestone or river pebbles). Make
an edge around the stones (metal, plastic or plain old constructions bricks) to
keep the stones in place and prevent the grass from growing back. This will
provide a good surface for the A/C tech to work on and at the same time will
become part of your landscape scheme.

Makes for a nice weekend project.

Good luck,

Ray
South Austin
===

Old 21-05-2006, 05:33 PM posted to austin.gardening
jOhN

stuck wrote:
I am just fed up with weeding this one area by the AC units. Any ideas what
kind of fast growing ground cover I could plant there?

Thanks!
Bob
Romance, Luxury, and Lake Travis...
www.lakenights.com

If you're talking about something immediately adjacent to the AC units I
would not recommend anything that grows. The ability of plants to sneak
into the AC enclosure is not to be underestimated and you don't want to
block air flow, either.

Got a picture you can post? It'll give everyone a chance to better
compare with their own like experiences and give advice that matches the
application.
Old 21-05-2006, 08:56 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Sun, 21 May 2006 16:33:42 GMT, jOhN
wrote:

stuck wrote:
I am just fed up with weeding this one area by the AC units. Any ideas what
kind of fast growing ground cover I could plant there?

Thanks!
Bob
Romance, Luxury, and Lake Travis...
www.lakenights.com

If you're talking about something immediately adjacent to the AC units I
would not recommend anything that grows. The ability of plants to sneak
into the AC enclosure is not to be underestimated and you don't want to
block air flow, either.

Got a picture you can post? It'll give everyone a chance to better
compare with their own like experiences and give advice that matches the
application.

That's what I did out by the AC unit and pool equipment. I put down
mulch around the whole of it. When the mulch decomposes I'm going to
have a mason come in and rock the whole area.