Old 21-05-2006, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default lilac trees in shade

Lazarus Cooke writes
I used to have a lilac tree in my fairly shaded garden, but it never
flowered, so we cut it down. Now my girlfriend fancies getting one
again. Was it the shade that was stopping it flowering (in which case
there's no point?)

Possibly, Although my lilacs are in fairly unfavourable positions
(between a garage and a much taller flowering cherry and cherry laurel;
between a garage and a church; in the shade of a neighbours apple tree;
in the shade of my own hawthorn) they tend to flower at the top where
they get more light.

You can quite effectively stop them flowering by enthusiastic pruning
every year.

I've got another species of lilac - Syringa microphylla which is
growing in shade between a medlar and an apple tree, and that flowers
well. It has a longer flowering period than the usual lilac, same good
scent, much smaller bush, but the flowers are not quite so showy. See if
you can see one in flower at a garden centre or nursery - if you like
it, it might be an alternative.

--
Kay