Old 21-05-2006, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lazarus Cooke

Default lilac trees in shade

I used to have a lilac tree in my fairly shaded garden, but it never
flowered, so we cut it down. Now my girlfriend fancies getting one
again. Was it the shade that was stopping it flowering (in which case
there's no point?)

Or was it just bad luck?

or something else?

Lazarus
Old 21-05-2006, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Lazarus Cooke wrote:
I used to have a lilac tree in my fairly shaded garden, but it never
flowered, so we cut it down. Now my girlfriend fancies getting one
again. Was it the shade that was stopping it flowering (in which case
there's no point?)
Or was it just bad luck?
or something else?

My neighbour had a lilac for 3 years and it didn't flower. It was in a
shady part of her garden. She fed it sulphate of potash and last year
she had a few flowers, this year lots more. How old was yours and what
kind was it?

Old 21-05-2006, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Lazarus Cooke writes
I used to have a lilac tree in my fairly shaded garden, but it never
flowered, so we cut it down. Now my girlfriend fancies getting one
again. Was it the shade that was stopping it flowering (in which case
there's no point?)

Possibly, Although my lilacs are in fairly unfavourable positions
(between a garage and a much taller flowering cherry and cherry laurel;
between a garage and a church; in the shade of a neighbours apple tree;
in the shade of my own hawthorn) they tend to flower at the top where
they get more light.

You can quite effectively stop them flowering by enthusiastic pruning
every year.

I've got another species of lilac - Syringa microphylla which is
growing in shade between a medlar and an apple tree, and that flowers
well. It has a longer flowering period than the usual lilac, same good
scent, much smaller bush, but the flowers are not quite so showy. See if
you can see one in flower at a garden centre or nursery - if you like
it, it might be an alternative.

--
Kay
Old 22-05-2006, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lazarus Cooke

In article ,
wrote:

You can quite effectively stop them flowering by enthusiastic pruning
every year.

I suspect that this may be what I managed to do.

I've got another species of lilac - Syringa microphylla which is
growing in shade between a medlar and an apple tree, and that flowers
well. It has a longer flowering period than the usual lilac, same good
scent, much smaller bush, but the flowers are not quite so showy. See if
you can see one in flower at a garden centre or nursery - if you like
it, it might be an alternative.

this sounds ideal. many thanks.

Flea, I'm not sure what it was. I found it in the garden and it's gone
now, but I'll bear in mind the potash tip.

Lazarus
Old 22-05-2006, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Lazarus Cooke wrote:
Flea, I'm not sure what it was. I found it in the garden and it's gone
now, but I'll bear in mind the potash tip.

Great! Didn't think of you pruning it ... that was perhaps the problem
indeed! I've got a 'Spickwick' (not sure of spelling) with pink stripes
on the petals - weird one but last long as cut flowers, and a white one
which scent travels trought the house every year. When we moved we
sadly missed our very old lilac, perhaps 30 years old, so I've planted
our two close to each others so that, next year maybe, I will be able
to hang a hammock (after 9 years of waiting!).