Old 22-05-2006, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lazarus Cooke

Default lilac trees in shade

In article ,
wrote:

You can quite effectively stop them flowering by enthusiastic pruning
every year.

I suspect that this may be what I managed to do.

I've got another species of lilac - Syringa microphylla which is
growing in shade between a medlar and an apple tree, and that flowers
well. It has a longer flowering period than the usual lilac, same good
scent, much smaller bush, but the flowers are not quite so showy. See if
you can see one in flower at a garden centre or nursery - if you like
it, it might be an alternative.

this sounds ideal. many thanks.

Flea, I'm not sure what it was. I found it in the garden and it's gone
now, but I'll bear in mind the potash tip.

Lazarus