Old 23-05-2006, 12:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
nospam

Default sears 12 hp garden tractor still won't start....

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 20 year old sears 12 hp garden tractor.
lately, when I turn the key I get a few clicks before she starts to
crank. Today I got a couple of clicks then nothing at all. I replaced
the solonoid for 10 bucks and still not a sound. the ignition switch is
new,too. Any ideas? I should junk it but ,until now it cuts fine. Larry

I try not to change components until I 'confirm my suspicions' with
troubleshooting.

In your case it sounds to me like the battery (or the associated
wiring/connections) are defective. To test this theory, 'jump it' with a
known good battery and see if it cranks fast and starts. Then look at the
battery connections- check for corrosion and clean with a wire brush.

I strongly suspect the battery, but your T/S will confirm.