Old 23-05-2006, 12:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
nospam

Default sears 12 hp garden tractor still won't start....

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 20 year old sears 12 hp garden tractor.
lately, when I turn the key I get a few clicks before she starts to
crank. Today I got a couple of clicks then nothing at all. I replaced
the solonoid for 10 bucks and still not a sound. the ignition switch is
new,too. Any ideas? I should junk it but ,until now it cuts fine. Larry

I try not to change components until I 'confirm my suspicions' with
troubleshooting.

In your case it sounds to me like the battery (or the associated
wiring/connections) are defective. To test this theory, 'jump it' with a
known good battery and see if it cranks fast and starts. Then look at the
battery connections- check for corrosion and clean with a wire brush.

I strongly suspect the battery, but your T/S will confirm.

Old 23-05-2006, 04:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
luvsmengines

If 1) you know the battery is good 2) the NEW solenoid clicks here is
what you do. Check for loose or dirty battery cables. Begin where the
ground strap is bolted to the chasis, then to the neg battery post.
From there check the positive battery post connection and then proceed

to the solenoid and recheck your large cable connections. From there
proceed to the bat cable connetion on the starter its self. Since,
because of the age, the starter is probably not of the permanent magnet
type try giving it a light tap with a ball pein hammer. If a brush is
stuck in its box this may jar it loose. If it does work, you still need
to service the starter Your problem may be an open in the starter . .
If you are in doubt about the new solenoid and it is the type that has
both large lugs side by side, then take an old tablespoon and with the
rounded outer surface jump the large lugs Don't do this with pliers as
the heavy current will damage the plier hinge pin, or the hinge pin may
not make good electrical continuity and give you a false test. I would
appreciate knowing the results.