Old 23-05-2006, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
D.Reid

Default Seaweed? A general fertilizer?

"cloud dreamer" wrote in message
D.Reid wrote:

"cloud dreamer" wrote in message

guerseygrower wrote:

Is seaweed (in it's pure state) a good fertilizer for all types of
fruits and vegetables? I am thinking more for growing; Garlics,
Potatoes, Carrots, Cabbages, Brocolii, Onion, Melons and Tomatoes.

As a general fertilizer, I don't think seaweed contains enough NPK to
make a difference but is helpful in other ways. I found this tidbit
online that sums it up nicely:

"SEAWEED MEAL AND RAW SEAWEED
Again, an important principle must be kept in mind: We do not use seaweed
as a source of NPK-type plantfoods. In fact, seaweed contains only a
smidgen of nitrogen, a speck of phosphate, and a morsel of potash. Its
signal values are in the excellent assortments of secondary and trace
minerals it provides, such as magnesium, sulfur, iron, zinc, iodine,
molybdenum, boron, manganese, and copper.

Also, seaweed is a good soil conditioner, serving to loosen and improve
tough, cloddy soils. In addition, it acts as a chelating agent to help
plants glean minerals for an adequate diet."

Wow...makes ya wanna go cleanup the beach...and build a bigger compost
pile!
Dave (has his work cut out for him)...Down in Florida

Whimper ....sandy beaches....warm water.... whimper

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East...........

.....Ooooooooooooohhhh...where the sun never shines. I'm sooooo sorry.
was 95 here today...is that good?....or bad?

Dave (swettin' his brains out already)(what little he has)...Down in Florida